Friday, February 23, 2007

Southwestern Omelette

As you can probably tell if you have been following my blog that most of my recipes tend to be on the spicier side. I will admit that I enjoy spicy food, for any meal of the day and breakfast is no different. Here is an easy to cook omelette that will stick with you for the morning, and part of the afternoon.
  • 3 large eggs (you may use an egg substitue)
  • 1/4 cup of salsa (hotness selected by taste. I use medium)
  • 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
  • a few slices of canadian bacon
  • tbsp of cooking oil. I use a hot oil called Mongolian Fire Oil since I like spicy stuff
  • tbsp or so of parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup of low fat mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup of low fat cheddar

Begin by beating 3 eggs in a mixing bowl until the yokes are fairly broken up. Then add the cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salsa. I usually use a red salsa , but have substituted salsa verde in the past which is equally as tasty....mix contets.

Next heat up your frying pan. I spray a little Pam on the surface to prevent sticking.


While the pan is heating up sprinkle the parmesan cheese across the pan , and allow it to brown a little before pouring in the contents of your mixing bowl. When your omelette is done the parmesan cheese will add a slightly crunchy texture and an appetizing golden brown color.



Next add the contents of your mixing bowl and wait about 30 seconds for it to begin to solidify. At this point you can sprinkle your cheeses across the top of the omelette. I do it this way so the cheese doesn't sink all the way to the bottom, but rather gets mixed and melted thoroughly in the omelette.



I usually let this cook, all the while checking the underside of the omelette to get golden brown. Here you can see that I added a few bacon bits on top as well for color and added taste.


Once the omelette underside is a nice golden brown I take it off the heat and fold it over on a plate.

Next I drop some of my Mongolian Fire Oil in the same pan and then fry up 5-7 slices of Canadian bacon. You may use more or less or even substitute some scrapple, ham or regular bacon. I go with Canadian bacon since it is lower in fat.


I usually cook the Canadian bacon as seen above (about 5 minutes on medium flame) and then serve with the omelette. Enjoy!


No comments: