Sunday, February 18, 2007

Spicy Pot Roast

The thing I like most about a roasts is that they practically cook themselves…after a bit of prep work.

I started with a decent size roast…use any kind. In today's case I used a chuck roast that weighed about 4.3 pounds. I placed the roast on a plate and sprinkled each of the following on the cut of meat:

2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

Then I poured approximately 2-3 tbsp of olive oil and rubbed the oil/spice mixture evenly around the meat.



Next I peeled about 2.5 pounds of carrots and cut them into small pieces. Then I peeled and cut up 5 pounds of potatos.

Once done the meat was placed in my handy 6qt roaster by Nesco. You could use the oven as well. I like the Nesco because it doesn't heat up the house too bad. I preheated to 325 degrees and then set the cooking temperature to 350 degrees.






I generally cook for 20 minutes per pound, and will check doneness with a meat thermometer. Beef should go to about 170-180. Always remember to cook your beef thoroughly.

Here is a shot of it while cooking



And here it is served up on a handy dandy paper plate!



No comments: