Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Simple Chicken Panang

I have been trying some international cuisine via a Thai coworker of mine. I tend to enjoy almost anything that is spicy so my friend turned me on to Thai curry paste.

Tonight I whipped up a batch of Panang Chicken. It is not quite as hot as cooking with Thai green curry paste, but rather borders on a hot that is mellowed with a hint of sweetness.

The recipe was somewhat improvised but this is what I did:

I took 4 decent size boneless, skinless chicken breasts and browned them in a little olive oil for about 15 minutes. At this point I removed them from heat and cut them up into small strips of chicken and set them aside.

I then took a 13.5 oz can of coconut milk and poured it into the same skillet I used for the chicken and added 1 small can of Panang curry paste (Brand Maesri). I have yet to find this item in a grocery store, and only have it due to the benevolence of my Thai friend who purchases it at her Asian food store. I also added 1 packet of Splenda.

I slowly mixed the curry paste and Splenda into the coconut milk until it was evenly combined, then brought it to a boil which only took about 4-5 minutes. At this point I simply added in the chicken strips and cooked them for about 20-30 minutes until they were done, and the curry/coconut milk reduced to a pastier consistency.

I chose to serve my main course this evening with some green beans and brown rice. Some may like to eat these things separately , but I love to mix my rice with my meat and veggies in a bowl.

I have a feeling that my recipe would lack Thai authenticity , but it was very good. Luckily I made enough for another night...probably tomorrow night!
Yum!

No comments: